Call us on: 0121 275 2398

Find answers to common Wedding Insurance questions.

Why do I need Wedding Insurance?

Wedding Insurance provides financial protection in case things don’t go to plan on your big day. This includes:

  • Cancellation or rearrangement if one of the prospective marriage or civil partners, your close relative or member of the wedding party falls ill when it's inappropriate to continue the ceremony and it's not due to a pre-existing medical condition.
  • If the venue is unavailable due to an insured reason, loss or damage of important items, failure of transport and Public Liability cover.

What level of Wedding Insurance do I need?

The level of cover will depend on the size, type and cost of your wedding and reception. If you consider each separate cost associated with your wedding, this should help you determine the level of cover you need.

How long before my wedding should I take out a Wedding Insurance policy?

We suggest that you take it out as soon as you've paid for any part of the event, so that your deposits are covered. John Lewis Wedding Insurance can be taken out up to two years before the wedding date.

Who can take out Wedding Insurance?

Our Wedding Insurance must be taken out by either one of the marriage or prospective civil partner or one of their parents (usually the person paying the deposits). The policyholder must be over 18 years old.

If I’ve already arranged services or paid deposits, will they be covered when I take out my policy?

Yes, anything already booked or paid for will be covered from the purchase date of the policy. Please make sure you have written contracts with all suppliers.

What does Wedding Insurance cover?


Wedding Insurance could cover you if you have to cancel or postpone your wedding because one of the prospective marriage or civil partners, close relatives or wedding party fall ill and it's not due to a pre-existing medical condition.

Failure of suppliers

Wedding Insurance also protects any pre-booked wedding services or suppliers such as:

  • wedding flowers
  • wedding cake
  • hired wedding transport
  • wedding rings
  • ceremonial attire
  • wedding stationery
  • professional wedding photographs and video.

If any of your suppliers go bankrupt and will therefore breach their contract, you could be covered for any irrecoverable costs, such as deposits.

Photos and video

If your photos can’t be printed because the film, negatives or any digital media that was used has been damaged, we’ll pay for a photographer to re-shoot the wedding party and for some of the costs needed to do this, including things like suit hire.

Wedding dress

If your dress is accidentally damaged before your wedding then you'll be covered for the costs of buying a replacement dress. However, you won't be covered against dirt or spillages that happen on your wedding day.


If you have to rearrange your wedding, John Lewis Wedding Insurance could pay up to a similar cost to the amount originally budgeted.

What does Cancellation Cover protect me against?

If you have to cancel your wedding, Cancellation Cover pays you any deposits or costs that you can't get back when it's inappropriate to continue the ceremony and it isn't due to a pre-existing medical condition.

However, the reason for cancelling your wedding has to be listed in your policy as an insurable one. This includes staff (as well as caterers, musicians etc.) not turning up because of adverse weather conditions (if no suitable replacement is available).

Cancellation Cover also includes costs involved in having to rearrange your wedding to somewhere else if your original venue can't host it. This could be due to an outbreak of food poisoning, or problems with the drains or sanitary facilities.

You should check the upper limits of the Cancellation Cover before buying to make sure it would be enough to give you back all your costs if you did have to make a claim.

Cancellation Cover won't cover you if you or your partner have a change of heart and decide not to get married.

I’m getting married in December. Am I covered if the weather’s bad?

If the weather prevents you or more than 50% of your guests getting to the venue, then you'll be covered. You should call the Claims Hotline to check before cancelling.

Call us on: 0330 102 2759

My partner is in the army - will we be covered if their leave is cancelled?

You will be covered if your partner is unexpectedly posted overseas, provided that this was unforeseen at the time of taking out the policy.

Will the couple be covered if one or both of them decides not to get married?

No, this would be classed as "disinclination to marry" and isn't covered under the policy.

If I have to cancel my wedding because of a pre-existing medical condition, will I be covered?

This policy won’t provide Cancellation Cover because of an ongoing medical condition, or a medical condition that needed treatment (including consultations or advice) within the 12 months before the purchase date, for the prospective marriage or civil partners, close relative or wedding party.

If any of my suppliers or service providers becomes bankrupt, insolvent or goes into liquidation, will I be covered?

Yes. Please make sure you have written contracts with all of your suppliers.

Is my wedding cake covered?

Yes, although some terms and exclusions do apply.

Are ceremonial swords covered?

Yes, ceremonial swords are covered, although some terms and exclusions do apply.

Who is covered under the Public Liability section of my policy?

Only the prospective marriage or civil partners are covered.

Can non-UK Nationals be covered?

Yes, but one of the prospective marriage or civil partners must be a permanent UK resident or citizen.

My wedding ceremony and reception are on different dates. Can I have full cover for both?

Yes, but please make sure you let us know both dates as soon as possible.

Are civil partnerships covered?

Yes, John Lewis Wedding Insurance covers both weddings and civil partnership ceremonies.

Can you cover my wedding and reception if they’re taking place abroad?

Yes, we can. You will need to make sure you choose the Overseas Wedding Cover option when selecting your cover level. Make sure you take out a separate Travel Insurance policy to cover your entire trip.

Will my honeymoon also be covered under John Lewis Wedding Insurance?

Unfortunately not: we suggest that you take out a separate Travel Insurance policy to be fully covered for your honeymoon. Our Wedding Insurance only covers your wedding and wedding reception.

Can you tell me more about Marquee Cover?

John Lewis Wedding Insurance offers Marquee Cover as an optional extra. Cover has to be bought with John Lewis Wedding Insurance; it can’t be purchased on its own.

Marquee Cover provides cover for loss or damage to the marquee so if the marquee is damaged or blows away the night before your wedding we will cover your cancellation or rearrangement costs. Marquee Cover also includes:

  • staging
  • chairs
  • tables
  • lighting
  • flooring
  • equipment hired or leased by you.

Can the policy provide cover for other occasions, such as anniversary parties?

Our Wedding Insurance is only available for weddings, but John Lewis Event Insurance provides cover for personal events and parties.

Call us on: 0330 102 2492

How do I claim?

Call us on: 0330 102 2759

Will I have to pay an excess when I claim?

You will need to pay an excess of £50 on all claims except Legal Expenses which does not have an excess.

What if I want to cancel?

You have up to 14 days after receiving your policy documents to change your mind and get a full refund, as long as you haven’t already made a claim and your wedding hasn’t taken place.

After that, you can cancel your Wedding Insurance at any time before your wedding.

Call us on: 0330 102 2747

Please note, if you cancel your policy after 14 days, you won’t be entitled to a refund.

Can I change my cover?

Yes, you can add Overseas Wedding Cover, Marquee Cover or upgrade your existing level of Wedding Cover.

Call us on: 0330 102 2747

We have carefully selected Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc to underwrite John Lewis Wedding Insurance.

Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and eligibility criteria apply.

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London SW1E 5NN. Registered in England (No. 233462). John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc. John Lewis Wedding Insurance is underwritten by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (No. 93792). Registered in England and Wales at St. Mark's Court, Chart Way, Horsham, West Sussex, RH12 1XL. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (Financial Services Register No. 202323). Calls may be recorded and monitored.