Call us on: 0330 303 2223

Find answers to common Travel Insurance questions.

Is there a limit to the length of my holiday cover?

Yes, John Lewis Single Trip Travel Insurance covers a holiday up to 180 days long, providing you’re 64 or younger. If you’re 65 or over, the maximum trip length is 31 days.

For Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance, the maximum length of each trip is 31 days unless you choose to pay an additional amount to cover you for up to 45 or 60 days.

Does an age limit apply to this policy?

John Lewis Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance is only available to people under 74 years old. There’s no upper age limit on our Single Trip Travel Insurance.

I want to go abroad for about three months. Will I be covered?

Yes, as long as you take out Single Trip Insurance which covers you for one trip of up to 180 days.

Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance wouldn't be suitable because it limits each trip to 31 days, although you can choose to extend your cover to 45 or 60 days.

Are one-way trips covered?

If you're emigrating or permanently leaving the UK we can offer cover for a one-way trip with a maximum duration of 17 days subject to our normal underwriting acceptance criteria.

Can I extend my Travel Insurance if I have Annual Multi-Trip Insurance but want to be away for more than 31 days?

Call us on: 0845 111 0030

Yes, if you have Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance our Extended Trip Cover allows you to extend a trip to 45 or 60 days, but you need to buy this before you travel. 

Please note: if you don’t purchase Extended Trip Cover and your trip is more than 31 days, you won’t be covered for any part of your holiday.

When does my cover start?

With Single Trip Travel Insurance, your cover starts as soon as you've paid for your policy. That way, you're protected against problems that may cause you to cancel your pre-booked holiday. For Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance, your cover begins on the policy start date you’ve selected.

Does an Annual Multi-Trip policy cover my family? Who’s covered?

Our Annual Multi-Trip Travel Insurance can cover up to two adults under 65 living at the same address who are married or living together as if they’re married. We also cover any number of dependent children (son, daughter, grandchild, step-child, foster child) under 18, or 21 if in full time education, travelling with them.

Are my children covered under an Annual Multi-Trip policy if they travel without me?

Adults covered under the policy can travel either together or separately. A child covered under the policy can only travel without the insured adults if they’re travelling under the supervision of an adult who’s responsible for their care for the length of the trip.

What does an Annual Multi-Trip policy cover compared to a Single Trip policy?

The Annual Multi-Trip policy gives you cover for a period of one year and covers any trip during that period. Note that:

  • each individual trip mustn’t be longer than 31 days unless you choose to take our Extended Trip Cover.
  • you’re only covered for trips within the region specified when you bought the policy.

The Single Trip policy gives you cover for one individual trip of up to 180 days. Cancellation Cover starts as soon as you’ve paid and ends when you return home after your trip.

What happens if my Annual Multi-Trip policy is due for renewal and expires while I'm on holiday?

Renewal notices are usually sent out well in advance of the policy expiry date. As long as you've renewed your policy before you travel, then continuous cover will be provided for the duration of your trip. Please note that the total trip duration must not exceed the duration period shown on your policy schedule.

What should I do if I want to cancel my policy?

You can either:

Call us on: 0845 111 0030


Email us

Please make sure you include your name, address (including postcode) and policy number.

Will I be covered in every country in the world?

The countries in which you’ll be covered depend on the cover you’ve chosen:

  • European Cover - Europe, the Channel Islands, the Republic of Ireland, the Canary Islands, Algeria, Israel, Lebanon, Libya, Madeira, Morocco, Syria, Tunisia and Turkey
  • Worldwide Cover - Worldwide except the United States of America, Canada and the Caribbean
  • Worldwide and US Cover – Worldwide including the United States of America, Canada and the Caribbean.

There are several countries that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has announced as unsuitable and we may not cover you if you’re travelling within these countries.

If you’re unsure:

Call us on: 0845 111 0030

What is Cancellation Cover?

If you’re forced to cancel your holiday due to circumstances beyond you or your travel companion's control (such as death, illness, jury service, home damage etc), you will be entitled to claim up to £8,000 for costs you have paid or have to pay towards your trip, depending on the level of cover you've chosen.

Will I be covered for disruption by a volcano?

Yes. You will be covered for delay compensation or holiday abandonment if your trip is disrupted by a volcano.

I have quite a lot of gadgets - will they all be covered?

We offer optional Technology Cover under our Plus and Premier Travel Insurance. This covers you for an increased valuables and single item limit  of £1,500 with our Plus Cover and £2,500 with our Premier Cover. 

What happens if the lost/damaged/stolen item I’m claiming for is no longer available?

John Lewis Travel Insurance have a New for Old policy. This means that we’ll offer the cash equivalent for all personal possessions and we won’t take any money off based on wear or tear. This includes sportswear, but only includes winter sports equipment if the Winter Sports Cover upgrade was taken out.

What is the Travel Advice Line?

The Travel Advice Line is available for all John Lewis Travel Insurance customers and gives you travel advice before and during your trip. This includes:

  • Visa and passport requirements and procedure
  • Language, customs and culture
  • Health issues (local epidemics, AIDS risks, child issues)
  • Advice with lost tickets, luggage, passports and credit cards
  • Message forwarding (we’ll forward up to three emergency messages on your behalf while you’re abroad).

Please note that this service is not able to help with general policy, claims or medical screening enquiries.

I travel for business on a regular basis. Am I covered?

Both Single Trip and Annual Multi-Trip Insurance will automatically cover you while you’re away from home on a business trip.

Our policy doesn't give you cover for manual work in connection with a profession, business or trade, but non-manual work will be covered.

Is my laptop computer (used for business purposes) covered under my Travel Insurance?

Yes, your laptop will be covered under our Travel Insurance. However, if you carry several gadgets, our optional Technology Cover (available on Plus and Premier policies) allows you to increase your valuables limit up to £2,500 to protect them all. It covers:

  • Computer equipment
  • Audio and visual equipment
  • Photographic equipment
  • Sports equipment
  • Watches.

Please note that mobile phones aren’t covered.

If I have a pre-existing medical condition, will you cover me?

For Plus or Premier Cover, John Lewis Travel Insurance can cover a wide variety of pre-existing medical conditions as long as you make us aware of them when you take out your policy. We may decline any claim or part of any claim directly or indirectly relating to a medical condition which was not disclosed and accepted by us at the time of taking out the policy or during the duration of the policy.

If you choose Essential Cover, your policy will not provide cover for any pre-existing medical conditions.

For a close relative, business associate, or travel companion who is not insured but whose health may affect the trip, you might not be covered for any claim that’s related to their condition.

If your policy started or renewed before 01/01/2015
John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered in England No. 00233462. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street, London, SW1E 5NN. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of UKAIS Limited (No. 02613429). Registered in England and Wales at Prospect House, Gordon Banks Drive, Trentham Lakes North, Stoke on Trent ST4 4TW. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (financial services register 307223).

If your policy started or renewed on or after 01/01/2015
John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. Registered in England No. 00233462. Registered office: 171 Victoria Street , London, SW1E 5NN. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of Ageas Retail Limited. Registered office: Ageas House, Hampshire Corporate Park, Templars Way, Eastleigh, Hampshire, SO53 3YA. Registered in England and Wales 1324965. Ageas Retail Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. FCA registered number: 312468. Ageas Retail Limited is a member of the DMA and a sister company of Ageas Insurance Limited.