Avoid a passport emergency abroad

If you lose your passport when you’re abroad, you’ll likely need to sort out Emergency Travel Documents. And you won’t be alone. Last year, the FCO reported that lost passports abroad cost Brits £5 million a year, with 30,000 Emergency Travel Documents issued.

What’s more, requests for ETDs are on the up. The number of ETDs issued for expired or damaged passports increased by over 300% from 2012-2013.

Sorting out ETDs is the last thing anyone wants to do when they should be enjoying sun, sea and sights abroad. That’s why the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have put together their Enjoy Your Holiday video, highlighting real stories of tourists who have lost their documents abroad.

What’s more, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have issued updated advice to help you keep your travel documents safe, so you can concentrate on having a good time while you’re away.


How can John Lewis Travel Insurance help?

If you lose your money, travel or admission tickets (if you’re going to a match or an event), or they are stolen, we’ll refund you up to your chosen policy limit.

If you take out Plus or Premier Cover, we’ll also pay for a replacement passport or qualification certificates if these are misplaced or stolen whilst you are away.

Subject to policy limits. Terms and conditions apply.